Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crafter-Lite

I like to make things with my hands.

I took up crochet again a few years ago as a way to keep my hands busy while watching TV (too busy to snack). That part didn't work out so well (until recently) I snacked anyway.

I also made a lot of scarves. Then small blankets. Recently I made my first wearable garment -- a cardigan for my I-don't-need-a-jacket daughter to wear this Fall.

My family, friends, co-workers, and all the teachers at my daughter's elementary are scarf-ed out.

Then, two years ago my office mate at the day job introduced me to beading.

OH BOY

Now my home office is divided into obsession-based zones -- bead corner, yarn stash, desk (I still write and edit when I can), and coffee corner (it makes the other three possible :) )

I'm two years in, have tons of pretty things to keep my hands busy, and a lot of friends and family who are tired of handmade gifts already.

Which brings me (at last!) to why I'm here. I make a lot of stuff. I give a lot away, but I've hit the point where I wouldn't mind selling some of it, if only to pay for more supplies, but I'm NOT hardcore.

Etsy -- too big, too many items regularly featured at CraftFail, and too many crafters undervaluing their work -- making it hard for anyone who wants to sell to set realistic prices.

ArtFire -- As of next month they will be pro-only. I'm not a pro. I have a full-time dayjob and an intermittent freelance writing and editing career. I do NOT need another job, which is what paying for AF membership would have to be to justify the expense ($10-$12/mo plus commission, in case you're curious) for what amounts to a hobby.

I have a friend, a talented and entrepreneurial crafter who is putting together a small store for the holidays this year (Nov-Dec) for area crafters to hawk their wares. I probably can't justify the expense, but she's a pal and it's better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

Plus, umm, I'm not really a people person. I don't like approaching people to ask if they will carry my stuff, nor do I produce the kind of volume a regular retail agreement requires.

Hence, the new blog. A place I can put pictures of my crafty goodness -- since I am willing to do custom pieces and I like to show off my hard work. Here I can talk about things I don't talk about elsewhere for fear of boring my non-crafty friends.

Welcome and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment